Re: please build packages --with-lz4

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
Cc: Devrim Gündüz <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>, pgsql-pkg-yum(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: please build packages --with-lz4
Date: 2021-03-22 15:58:13
Lists: pgsql-pkg-yum

Greetings,

* Justin Pryzby (pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com) wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 22, 2021 at 10:45:08AM -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > * Justin Pryzby (pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com) wrote:
> > > Would you plan to build packages --with-lz4 ?
> > >
> > > See commit bbe0a81db69bd10bd166907c3701492a29aca294
> > > Allow configurable LZ4 TOAST compression.
> > >
> > > Also, a reminder about this old thread.
> > > The devel packages should be built with a versions like (I think)
> > > 0.1.14.0-alpha*
> >
> > I have to wonder why we aren't just automatically checking if lz4 is
> > available and enabling it when it is...
>
> I assume you mean at compile time, regarding autoconf macros ?

Yes, talking about picking things up at compile time.

> This probably doesn't apply to PGDG, but as I recall at least within debian,
> there's a preference to build either --with-... or --without-.., so that a
> library which happens to be installed doesn't create a package with an
> unintentional dependency, or a library which is not installed or something
> broken/incompatible doesn't result in a package without the intended
> dependency.

I'm just voicing my annoyence that we don't just automatically pick
things up when they're available- sure, packagers might want to go
through and add --without-whatever in situations where they don't want
something, but making everyone have to go add --with-whatever whenever
we add new dependencies doesn't strike me as useful.

Thanks,

Stephen