Re: incoorect restore_command

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Philipp Gramzow <phil(at)philphonic(dot)de>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: incoorect restore_command
Date: 2021-02-26 16:54:18
Lists: pgsql-docs

Greetings,

* Philipp Gramzow (phil(at)philphonic(dot)de) wrote:
> Am 24.02.2021 um 06:49 schrieb Michael Paquier:
> >On Mon, Feb 22, 2021 at 07:36:28AM +0000, PG Doc comments form wrote:
> >>I've been trying out saving and restoring compressed archive logs. The
> >>restore_command stated in the docs at "25.3.6.2. Compressed Archive Logs"
> >>('gunzip < /mnt/server/archivedir/%f > %p') did not work for me, because the
> >>archive_command ('gzip < %p > /var/lib/pgsql/archive/%f') alters the
> >>filename to %f.gz
> >On which platform please? Using a pipe with gzip does not alter the
> >output file name where the data is pushed to.
> We're on RHEL 7. Thanks for pointing out my mistake, someone altered our
> archive_command to use .gz extensions without me noticing it. Please excuse
> the confusion.

Note that the simple commands in the documentation are really just to
give you an example of what an archive command would look like- they
shouldn't be used verbatim since they don't provide any guarantees that
the resulting compressed file has actually been written out to disk
(something that an archive command really should provide the guarantee
of- otherwise a crash will result in WAL files likely going missing and
therefore you'll lose the ability to do PITR).

Thanks,

Stephen