Re: [HACKERS] Custom compression methods

From: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut(at)gmail(dot)com>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, Ildus Kurbangaliev <i(dot)kurbangaliev(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dmitry Dolgov <9erthalion6(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Custom compression methods
Date: 2021-02-09 20:37:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I see the thread got broken somehow (or cfbot thought it did), so I added the
new thread, and this is now passing all tests. (I think using the v22
patches). http://cfbot.cputube.org/dilip-kumar.html

On Fri, Feb 05, 2021 at 11:07:53AM -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
> > Also, I think we may want to make enable-lz4 the default *for testing
> > purposes*, now that the linux and BSD environments include that.
>
> My guess was that would annoy some hackers whose build environments
> got broken. If everyone thinks otherwise I'm willing to be persuaded,
> but it's going to take more than 1 vote...

I think you misunderstood: I mean that the WIP patch should default to
--enable-lz4, to exercise on a few CI. It's hardly useful to run CI with the
feature disabled. I assume that the patch would be committed with default
--disable-lz4.

On Fri, Feb 05, 2021 at 11:23:46AM -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 5, 2021 at 11:07 AM Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> > Personally, my preference is to just update the test outputs. It's not
> > important whether many people look closely to verify the differences;
> > we just need to look them over on a one-time basis to see if they seem
> > OK. After that it's 0 effort, vs. having to maintain HIDE_COMPRESSAM
> > forever.
>
> Oh, I guess you're thinking about the case where someone wants to run
> the tests with a different default. That might be a good reason to
> have this. But then those changes should go in 0002.

Right, it's not one-time, it's also whenever setting a non-default compression
method. I say it should go into 0001 to avoid a whole bunch of churn in
src/test/regress, and then more churn (and rebase conflicts in other patches)
while adding HIDE_COMPRESSAM in 0002.

--
Justin