Re: Odd, intermittent failure in contrib/pageinspect

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Odd, intermittent failure in contrib/pageinspect
Date: 2021-01-18 22:30:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2021-Jan-18, Tom Lane wrote:

> Searching the buildfarm logs turned up exactly one previous occurrence,
> also on whelk [2]. So I'm not sure what to make of it. Could the
> immediately preceding VACUUM FREEZE command have silently skipped this
> page for some reason? That'd be a bug I should think.

Hmm, doesn't vacuum skip pages when they are pinned? I don't think
VACUUM FREEZE would be treated especially -- only "aggressive"
wraparound would be an exception, IIRC. This would reflect in the
relfrozenxid for the table after vacuum, but I'm not sure if there's a
decent way to make the regression tests reflect that.

> Also, not really a bug, but why is this test script running exactly
> the same query twice in a row? If that's of value, and not just a
> copy-and-paste error, the comments sure don't explain why. But what
> it looks like is that these queries were different when first added,
> and then 58b4cb30a5b made them the same when it probably should have
> removed one.

Agreed.

--
Álvaro Herrera 39°49'30"S 73°17'W