Re: PostgreSQL on K8 with Operator

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Justin Clift <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Valeria Kaplan <vk(at)dataegret(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, denish(dot)j(dot)patel(at)gmail(dot)com
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL on K8 with Operator
Date: 2020-12-10 16:29:14
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Greetings,

* Justin Clift (justin(at)postgresql(dot)org) wrote:
> On 2020-12-10 03:35, Stephen Frost wrote:
> >... should we really be sending people to such a herokuapp site to sign
> >up? Seems like something we could probably manage to make part of
> >pg.org, and really should..
>
> Denish seems to be on the PG Advocacy mailing list now, and is CC-d anyway.
> So it probably wouldn't be too hard to move to PG infrastructure
> hosting. :)

I suppose it'd probably be clearer to say that we'd be re-implementing
the functionality of what that app does on pginfra as part of pgweb.
Looks like it'd be pretty trivial to do, as the main part of the app is:

https://github.com/rauchg/slackin/blob/master/lib/slack-invite.js

In pgweb, for users who have registered an account, we've already got
their email address (and vetted it) and therefore we could actually make
the link from .Org go to a logged-in page that then sends the
appropriate call to postgresteam.slack.com to have them send the email
invite.

> >Not sure if there's a way for the slack admin to change the URL that
> >folks on the slack channel see, but if so, that'd be nice to change too,
> >so that there isn't this confusion in the future. Also seems unlikely
> >that we need to have that list of domains be associated with the
> >community slack...? Also leads to confusion.
>
> You mean the "postgresteam.slack.com" domain name? That kind of thing
> is pretty standard for Slack, and the "postgresteam" name seem on topic
> enough to be ok (to me). :)

I wasn't referring to that as being an issue, but rather wondering if
there was a way on the admin side of the slack team to modify the URL
that shows when you click on the top-left drop-down menu, to make it
point to the .Org Community page, or something along those lines, so
that folks don't send people to the postgresteam.slack.com URL by
mistake, as happened here.

> The list-of-domains thing sounds like it might be fixable in a month or
> two once the new Salesforce ownership of Slack has settled a bit more. :)

With the above, I wouldn't think we'd need to have the list of domains
at all, which seems like it'd be a general improvement and would
hopefully reduce the confusion.

Thanks,

Stephen