Re: Attaching database

From: "Peter J(dot) Holzer" <hjp-pgsql(at)hjp(dot)at>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Attaching database
Date: 2020-10-25 18:26:53
Lists: pgsql-general

On 2020-10-19 20:21:05 +0200, Pavel Stehule wrote:
> po 19. 10. 2020 v 20:18 odesílatel Igor Korot <ikorot01(at)gmail(dot)com> napsal:
> On Mon, Oct 19, 2020 at 12:51 PM Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
> wrote:
> > It is a different thing - postgresql_fdw does nested connect - it uses
> > client-server protocol.
> >
> > For postgres connect and sql engine process is one entity - and engine is
> > written without a possibility to reconnect to another database.
>
> So if I understand correctly the postgresql_fdw is creating a second
> connection and uses it as kind of "virtualizing mechanism"
> in order to give access to the second database.
>

> yes - it does new connect to somewhere (local or remote server, but mechanism
> is absolutely same)

In case this isn't clear:

It is the server (or more specifically, the foreign data wrapper) which
opens that connection. To the client it looks like it's just accessing a
normal table within the same database.

hp

--
_ | Peter J. Holzer | Story must make more sense than reality.
|_|_) | |
__/ | http://www.hjp.at/ | challenge!"