Re: UUID with variable length

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Dirk Krautschick <Dirk(dot)Krautschick(at)trivadis(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: UUID with variable length
Date: 2020-10-16 16:09:32
Lists: pgsql-general

On 2020-Oct-15, Dirk Krautschick wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have here a situation with the usage of UUID. Here the database user
> allows UUIDs with less then 16 byte lengths (please don't ask :-) ).
>
> Of course there are some technical ways to do the filling of the not
> used bytes but I hope there is a better solution. This UUID is used as
> primary Key and for indexing.

How much shorter than 16 bytes are you expecting your UUIDs to be? If
they're not short enough, you'll still have to store a lot of padding
space, and considering that you'll need a length indicator if you use
variable length, it does not really sound like you'll save much actual
space. And you'll definitely be getting a slower datatype, since doing
operations will become more complex.

If this were me, I would see about zeroing out the unused bytes and not
waste a lot of developer time on this.