Re: could not send data to client: Permission denied

From: Daniel Jakots <postgres(at)chown(dot)me>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: could not send data to client: Permission denied
Date: 2020-08-27 17:03:55
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, 27 Aug 2020 12:44:11 -0400, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> It looks like send() itself is returning EACCES, which seems just
> weird. The send(2) man page does cite some possible causes of
> EACCES, but none of them seem relevant here.

Oh, send(2) on OpenBSD [1] says that the firewall may cause such an
error. I guess no one ever hits* this since on Linux this is "very
unlikely" to happen.

I think the problem is my cron fiddles with the vm's firewall at the
same time. I'll look into that possibility. Thanks for the hint!

* according to my web search :p

[1]: https://man.openbsd.org/send.2#EACCES

Daniel