"stable storage"

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: PostgreSQL-documentation <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: "stable storage"
Date: 2020-08-17 16:52:22
Lists: pgsql-docs

I know we talk about durability a lot, but it seems we mention "stable
storage" much more often than "durable storage" in our docs:

$ grep 'stable storage' *.sgml
config.sgml: necessarily reached stable storage on the standby.
monitoring.sgml: stable storage.</entry>
monitoring.sgml: to reach stable storage.</entry>
monitoring.sgml: <entry>Waiting for a relation data file to reach stable storage.</entry>
monitoring.sgml: stable storage.</entry>
monitoring.sgml: <entry>Waiting for changes to a relation data file to reach stable storage.</entry>
monitoring.sgml: <entry>Waiting for data to reach stable storage while adding a line to the
monitoring.sgml: <entry>Waiting for data to reach stable storage while creating the data
monitoring.sgml: <entry>Waiting for logical rewrite mappings to reach stable storage
monitoring.sgml: <entry>Waiting for mapping data to reach stable storage during a logical
monitoring.sgml: <entry>Waiting for the relation map file to reach stable storage.</entry>
monitoring.sgml: <entry>Waiting for a replication slot control file to reach stable storage
monitoring.sgml: <entry>Waiting for SLRU data to reach stable storage during a checkpoint
monitoring.sgml: <entry>Waiting for SLRU data to reach stable storage following a page
monitoring.sgml: stable storage.</entry>
monitoring.sgml: replication to reach stable storage.</entry>
monitoring.sgml: <entry>Waiting for a two phase state file to reach stable storage.</entry>
monitoring.sgml: <entry>Waiting for WAL to reach stable storage during
monitoring.sgml: reach stable storage.</entry>
monitoring.sgml: <entry>Waiting for a WAL file to reach stable storage.</entry>
monitoring.sgml: <entry>Waiting for data to reach stable storage while assigning a new

$ grep 'durable storage' *.sgml
config.sgml: kernel to durable storage. This can be done while the cluster
func.sgml: location known to be written to durable storage. The write location is the

Is "stable storage" the same as "durable storage"? Should we rename
"stable storage" mentions to "durable storage"?

EnterpriseDB https://enterprisedb.com