Re: Remove Deprecated Exclusive Backup Mode

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Remove Deprecated Exclusive Backup Mode
Date: 2020-07-01 14:50:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Greetings,

* Laurenz Albe (laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at) wrote:
> On Wed, 2020-07-01 at 08:47 -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> > > I remain -1 on removing the exclusive backup API.
> >
> > It's still deprecated and I'm certainly against removing that status
> > until/unless someone actually fixes it (including documentation), and if
> > we're not going to do that then we should remove it.
>
> Well, it doesn't need fixing, since it is working just fine (for certain
> values of "just fine").

imv it's a disservice to our users to claim it's working when there's a
myriad of problems with it that we only allude to in the documentation,
some of which simply have no way of being addressed by a user.

Perhaps if we remove the landmines we can say it works, but imv it
doesn't today. I suspect we'll simply not get to a point where we agree
on this, but if you'd like to propose a patch that fixes the issues and
the documentation, that'd be a great direction to take this. If that's
not going to happen, then I'm in favor of removing it. I really dislike
these half-measures and keeping deprecated things that complicate our
code and our documentation forever.

Thanks,

Stephen