Re: [Patch] ALTER SYSTEM READ ONLY

From: Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais <jgdr(at)dalibo(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>, amul sul <sulamul(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [Patch] ALTER SYSTEM READ ONLY
Date: 2020-06-18 10:35:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 17 Jun 2020 12:07:22 -0400
[...]

> > Commands that involve a whole
> > bunch of subtle interlocking --- and, therefore, aren't going to work if
> > anything has gone wrong already anywhere in the server --- seem like a
> > particularly poor thing to be hanging your HA strategy on.
>
> It's important not to conflate controlled switchover with failover.
> When there's a failover, you have to accept some risk of data loss or
> service interruption; but a controlled switchover does not need to
> carry the same risks and there are plenty of systems out there where
> it doesn't.

Yes. Maybe we should make sure the wording we are using is the same for
everyone. I already hear/read "failover", "controlled failover", "switchover" or
"controlled switchover", this is confusing. My definition of switchover is:

swapping primary and secondary status between two replicating instances. With
no data loss. This is a controlled procedure where all steps must succeed to
complete.
If a step fails, the procedure fail back to the original primary with no data
loss.

However, Wikipedia has a broader definition, including situations where the
switchover is executed upon a failure: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Switchover

Regards,