Re: Something else about Redo Logs disappearing

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Peter <pmc(at)citylink(dot)dinoex(dot)sub(dot)org>
Cc: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Something else about Redo Logs disappearing
Date: 2020-06-11 20:17:42
Lists: pgsql-general

Greetings,

* Peter (pmc(at)citylink(dot)dinoex(dot)sub(dot)org) wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 10, 2020 at 08:32:22AM -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> ! > What repo?? I seem to have missed that at first glance.
> !
> ! Yes, pgbackrest has a repo, like most other tools (though they call them
> ! different things... pg_basebackup has one though it's not really
> ! formal).
> !
> ! > Are You indeed suggesting that one should have their data within
> ! > the database, where it is worked with, and then use Your tool
> ! > to copy it to some "repo" disk playground whatever area, and then
> ! > use their regular backup system to COPY IT AGAIN into their
> ! > backup/archiving system? Are You kiddin'?
> !
> ! No, I'm not kidding and yes, that's what I'm suggesting.
>
> Well, do You think I could seriously sell that to anybody?

That hardly seems to have much relevance. I do know that there are lots
of deployments which have exactly that setup though.

> ! You need a
> ! consistent backup of your database that includes all the needed WAL to
> ! perform a restore.
>
> Okay. So lets behave like professional people and figure how that
> can be achieved:

No, thanks, but I'm done. I will not continue to engage with someone
who insists on belittling everyone they engage with. That's not
appropriate for any professional environment, including these lists.

Thanks,

Stephen