Re: ldap tls test fails in some environments

From: Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: ldap tls test fails in some environments
Date: 2020-05-14 11:10:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Re: Thomas Munro
> > 17:28:59 Data directory: /<<PKGBUILDDIR>>/build/src/test/ldap/tmp_check/t_001_auth_node_data/pgdata
>
> I know nothing about Debian package building so I could be missing
> something about how this works, but I wonder if our script variable
> handling is hygienic enough for paths like that.

That's from the sbuild log filter, the special chars are not the
problem:

17:06:41 I: NOTICE: Log filtering will replace 'build/postgresql-13-fdfISX/postgresql-13-13~~devel~20200513.1505' with '<<PKGBUILDDIR>>'
17:06:41 I: NOTICE: Log filtering will replace 'build/postgresql-13-fdfISX' with '<<BUILDDIR>>'

> > It consistently fails on the build server, but works on my notebook.
> > Maybe that simply means slapd is crashing, but there's no slapd
> > output. Would it be possible to start slapd with "-d 255", even if
> > that means it doesn't background itself?
>
> That'd require more scripting to put it in the background...

Maybe adding "&" is enough, provided it still writes the pid file for
shutting down...

> This leads me to suspect that something in your build server's
> environment that comes later in that list is overridding the
> TLS_REQCERT setting. If that's the explanation, perhaps we should do
> this, which seems to work OK on my system, since it comes last in the
> list:

It's not messing with environment variables in that area.

I'll see if I can catch a shell in the environment where it fails.

Christoph