Re: PG 13 release notes, first draft

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PG 13 release notes, first draft
Date: 2020-05-12 00:34:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2020-May-11, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> We have long discussed how much of the release notes is to reward
> behavior, and we have settled on having the names on the items, and the
> Acknowledgments section at the bottom.

Yes, we had to touch the source code in order to add documentation; but
so what? Everything touches the source code, but that doesn't mean it
should be listed there. I don't see what's the problem with having a
new subsection in the relnotes entitled "Documentation" where these two
items appears (glossary + new doc table format) are listed. It's not
like it's going to cost us a lot of space or anything.

I don't think there is any circularity argument BTW -- we're not going
to document that we added release notes. And changing the table format
is not entirely pointless, given that we've historically had trouble
with these tables (read: they're totally unusable in PDF).