Re: Could postgres12 support millions of sequences? (like 10 million)

From: "Peter J(dot) Holzer" <hjp-pgsql(at)hjp(dot)at>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Could postgres12 support millions of sequences? (like 10 million)
Date: 2020-03-22 11:41:33
Lists: pgsql-general

On 2020-03-21 13:45:54 -0700, pabloa98 wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 21, 2020 at 12:08 PM Peter J. Holzer <hjp-pgsql(at)hjp(dot)at> wrote:
> And I think that "care about gaps -> sequence doesn't work" is a
> knee-jerk reaction. It's similar to "can't parse HTML with regexps".
> True in the general case, and therefore people tend to blurt it out
> every time the topic comes up. But not necessarily true in specific
> cases. As I wrote above, there is no perfect solution - so you have to
> think about the actual requirements and the consequences of various
> solutions - and maybe using a sequence is the best (or least bad)
> solution.
>
> OK. In that case, I will proceed with the millions of sequences. We will see.

Nonononononononono! (channelling Jean-Claude Laprie[1])

I was trying to say that in each case one should think about the pros
and cons of different approaches and be wary of dogmatic rules.

I wasn't recommending the use of sequences in your case. I would
actually be surprised if they work well for you.

But having said that - by all means try it. Maybe it does work, and
you'll give a talk about "The 50 million sequences database" at a
conference next year :-). Or maybe it doesn't, and then you'll have
learned something about where the actual limits are.

hp

[1] I don't expect you to know him :-)

--
_ | Peter J. Holzer | Story must make more sense than reality.
|_|_) | |
__/ | http://www.hjp.at/ | challenge!"