Re: Move description of general lock behaviour out of the "13.3.1. Table-level Locks section"

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: me(at)sillymon(dot)ch, pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Move description of general lock behaviour out of the "13.3.1. Table-level Locks section"
Date: 2020-03-12 20:34:20
Lists: pgsql-docs

On Mon, Feb 3, 2020 at 05:04:00PM +0000, PG Doc comments form wrote:

> Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.4/explicit-locking.html
>
> Hi
>
> The "13.3.1. Table-level Locks" subsection mentions the following: "Once
> acquired, a lock is normally held till end of transaction." (maybe we should
> also squeeze a "...till the end of a transaction" in there) According to a

Sorry for the delay in replying. Yes, this wording needs improvement,
which I have done in the attached patch.

> helpful stranger on IRC, this behavior is also true for row-level locks.
>
> Since this sentence also applies to the row-level locks described in the
> following subsection 13.3.2 I think it would be more fitting to move the
> paragraph containing this sentence to the introduction of the topic in
> section "13.3. Explicit Locking". This would then read something like:

Uh, we can't move that paragraph up because Page-Level Locks and
Advisory Locks aren't always released on transaction end or rollback.
What I did do was to mention that row-level locks are released in a
similar way to table-level locks.

Patch attached.

EnterpriseDB https://enterprisedb.com

+ Ancient Roman grave inscription +