Detecting which columns a query will modify in a function called by a trigger

From: stan <stanb(at)panix(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Detecting which columns a query will modify in a function called by a trigger
Date: 2020-03-02 18:59:04
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-general

I need to implement a fairly fine grained security model. Probably a bit
finer that I can do with the standard ownership functionality.

My thinking on this is to create a table that contains the users, and a
"permission bit" for each function that they may want to do, vis a vi
altering an existing row,or rows, or inserting new rows.

Looks relatively straight forward, if fairly time consuming to do. But I
would need to know which column(s) a given query would add..alter from the
function to implement this via a trigger. looks like I see most of what I
need t do this in the docs, but I can't quite figure out if I can get this
down to what column(s) a given trigger will modify. Is this possible?

neither liberty nor safety."
-- Benjamin Franklin