Re: What am I doing wrong here?

From: stan <stanb(at)panix(dot)com>
To: Ray O'Donnell <ray(at)rodonnell(dot)ie>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: What am I doing wrong here?
Date: 2019-12-26 14:59:06
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Dec 26, 2019 at 01:55:34PM +0000, Ray O'Donnell wrote:
> On 26/12/2019 13:36, stan wrote:
> > IF _bom_name_key is NULL
> > THEN
> > WITH inserted AS (
> > INSERT into project_bom
> > (project_key, bom_name)
> > VALUES
> > (NEW.project_key , 'Main')
> > RETURNING
> > project_bom_key
> > )
> > /* Syntax error flagged at this line */
> > _bom_name_key = ( SELECT
> > project_bom_key
> > FROM inserted )
> > ;
> > ELSE
> > NEW.project_bom_key = _bom_name_key;
> > END IF;
> > END IF;
>

> You need to use the SELECT INTO syntax:
>
> with inserted as (
> )
> select project_bom_key into _bom_name_key
> from inserted
> (etc)
>
> Likewise, while I don't think there's anything wrong with the earlier
> assignment -
>
> _bom_name_key := (select....);
>
> - to my eye the SELECT INTO looks more natural:
>
> select project_bom_key
> into _bom_name_key
> from ... (etc).
>
> It's a PL/pgSQL construct - full details here:
>
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/plpgsql-statements.html#PLPGSQL-STATEMENTS-SQL-ONEROW
>
> I hope that this helps.
>
> Ray.

Thanks for the quick response.

Yes, that solved my issue.

RE different syntax. Yes I need to be more careful to be consistent in the
way I do things. I have a tendency to do the same thing different ways when
there are multiple ways of doing the same thing.
neither liberty nor safety."
-- Benjamin Franklin