A question about upgrading on Debian/Ubuntu

From: stan <stanb(at)panix(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: crodmail(at)gmail(dot)com
Subject: A question about upgrading on Debian/Ubuntu
Date: 2019-12-10 11:21:59
Lists: pgsql-general

I upgraded successfully on our test machine from V11 to V12 the other day.
Now it is time to upgrade the production machine. One f the lessons
learned in doing this is to do "make install" on all the extensions used
in the existing DB before doing the pg_dropcluster.

On the production machine I am confused by the state of the V12 server:

If I do sudo apt-get install postgresql-12 I get a message about this
package being marked to be "manually installed: pg_lsclusters reports on a
version 11 instance:

stan(at)smokey:~/src/pgemailaddr-master$ pg_lsclusters
Ver Cluster Port Status Owner Data directory Log file
11 main 5432 online postgres /var/lib/postgresql/11/main
/var/log/postgresql/postgresql-11-main.log

And when I do a "make install" on one of the extensions, it installs in
the V11 location.

What do I need to do to get the V12 server package correctly installed?

Thanks, in advance.
neither liberty nor safety."
-- Benjamin Franklin