Re: REINDEX VERBOSE unknown option

From: "Peter J(dot) Holzer" <hjp-pgsql(at)hjp(dot)at>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: REINDEX VERBOSE unknown option
Date: 2019-11-21 21:51:42
Lists: pgsql-general

On 2019-11-21 16:48:14 +0000, Geoff Winkless wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Nov 2019 at 15:32, Peter J. Holzer <hjp-pgsql(at)hjp(dot)at> wrote:
> > On 2019-11-21 09:43:26 +0000, Geoff Winkless wrote:
> > > It wasn't meant to be insulting, I meant "esoteric" in the strict
> > > sense: that you need to have specific knowledge to parse them.
> >
> > I didn't understand it as insulting (why would I?),
>
> I've absolutely no idea, but I couldn't imagine why on Earth you would
> apparently take such exception to it otherwise. Maybe writing
> sarcastic bombast in response to something that hasn't annoyed you is

I don't think we agree on the meaning of "sarcastic" and "bombast".

> > but don't think this convention is "requiring ... knowledge that is
> > restricted to a small group" (Merriam-Webster).
>
> That's entirely the case here. I'd say the number of people able to
> understand something like BNF is vanishingly small in terms of the
> 7bn(?) world-population.

The number of people reading the PostgreSQL manual is also vanishingly
small in terms of the world-population. These two aren't independent.

hp

--
_ | Peter J. Holzer | Story must make more sense than reality.
|_|_) | |
__/ | http://www.hjp.at/ | challenge!"