Re: type SERIAL in C host-struct

From: "Peter J(dot) Holzer" <hjp-pgsql(at)hjp(dot)at>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: type SERIAL in C host-struct
Date: 2019-11-09 15:31:53
Lists: pgsql-general

On 2019-11-07 20:14:47 +0100, Matthias Apitz wrote:
> At the end of the day we came up with the following solution:
>
> strcpy(host_struct.name, "Sigrid");
> EXEC SQL select nextval('lina_lid_seq') into :host_struct.ser;
>
> EXEC SQL INSERT INTO lina VALUES ( :host_struct );
>
> which seems to work fine. Any comments about side effects?

You are performing two queries instead of one, so you have to wait for
one extra round trip. Not a problem if client and server are on the same
network or you insert a few host_structs per second. May be a problem if
client and server are in different datacenters and you want to do
hundreds of inserts per second.

hp

--
_ | Peter J. Holzer | Story must make more sense than reality.
|_|_) | |
__/ | http://www.hjp.at/ | challenge!"