Re: links to 12 release notes broken after branching

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: links to 12 release notes broken after branching
Date: 2019-10-30 21:47:42
Lists: pgsql-www

Hi,

On 2019-09-17 13:50:40 -0400, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
> On 9/17/19 1:04 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> writes:
> >> Yes, but before the release being done we can't hand that out?
>
> You can always hand them out knowing that it is subject to change.
> Personally I view devel as "anything can change at a given moment".

It still baffles me that that's supposed to be a reasonable approach. I
mean, for quite a few weeks that's the only link available. And we want
people to be able to look at the notes at that time. And expecting URLs
to stay halfway stable isn't a novel or absurd thing in any sort of way.

I think the whole project of pruning the release notes was done hastily
and carelessly. At a much larger scope than necessarily apparent from
the mailing list discussions.

Greetings,

Andres Freund