Re: v12 pg_basebackup fails against older servers (take two)

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Subject: Re: v12 pg_basebackup fails against older servers (take two)
Date: 2019-10-22 13:35:50
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Oct 22, 2019 at 09:06:03AM -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> Here's just a quick rough-up of a patch (it compiles, I haven't tried it
> out more than that) that adds in a check to skip gssencmode on older
> versions. If it seems like a reasonable approach then I can test it out
> and deal with back-patching it and such.
>
> Thoughts?

Here is a thought. We could tackle the problem at its source and
track in internalPQconninfoOption the minimum version supported by a
parameter. This way, we could make sure that libpq routines similar
to PQconninfo() never return an option which is not compatible with a
a live connection, and we won't forget that if the problem shows up
again because creating a new parameter would require to add a new
version number. There is an advantage here: internalPQconninfoOption
is an internal structure, so this should be back-patchable.
--
Michael