SELECT returnig a constant

From: stan <stanb(at)panix(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: SELECT returnig a constant
Date: 2019-10-15 13:28:51
Lists: pgsql-general

I used to be able to return a constant value in a SELECT statement in
ORACLE. I need to populate a table for testing, and I was going to do so
like this:

SELECT
employee.id ,
project.proj_no ,
work_type.type ,
'rate' 1
FROM employee
CROSS JOIN project
CROSS JOIN work_type;

This statement works correctly, till I add the last "'rate' 1 line, then it
returns a syntax error.

How can I do this?

neither liberty nor safety."
-- Benjamin Franklin