Re: question about client/server version mismatches

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: raf <raf(at)raf(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: question about client/server version mismatches
Date: 2019-08-13 03:10:09
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Aug 13, 2019 at 12:45:35PM +1000, raf wrote:
> Since the backup itself was from a 9.5.12 server, it
> seems that the 9.6 parameter, idle_in_transaction_session_timeout,
> must have been set by the 9.6 client even though it was
> connected to a 9.5 server. Is that expected behaviour?

Yes, the compatibility of pg_dump is mentioned in the docs, and things
happen so as pg_dump can be used to transfer data to newer versions:
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/app-pgdump.html
Please see from "Because pg_dump is used to transfer data to newer
versions of PostgreSQL...".

So doing a dump from a 9.5 instance using pg_dump from 9.6 would have
set the parameter.
--
Michael