Re: Localization

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Yonatan Misgan <yonamis(at)dtu(dot)edu(dot)et>
Cc: "pgsql-translators(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-translators(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Localization
Date: 2019-07-03 13:23:30
Lists: pgsql-translators

On 2019-Jul-03, Yonatan Misgan wrote:

> Translation is only one aspect of locales. Other localization aspects are system services. There are many attributes that are needed to define a country’s cultural conventions. These attributes include besides the country’s native language, the formatting of the date and time, the representation of numbers, the symbols for currency, etc. The locale represents the knowledge needed to support the country’s native attributes. So my question is how can I handled these locale aspects (date and time, collation order, currency symbol, numeric symbol, and format ) in PostgreSQL. Thank you.

There are locale options that change behavior in various places, such as
to_char and other places. Other than that, I don't think we have a good
answer (but we do have very detailed documentation). If you want to
make a stab at writing an answer, we're listening. This means you'll
have to do a lot of research by yourself.