Re: Online verification of checksums

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Michael Banck <michael(dot)banck(at)credativ(dot)de>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Online verification of checksums
Date: 2019-03-29 15:40:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

On 2019-03-29 11:38:02 -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> The server-side function would essentially lock the page against i/o,
> re-read it off disk into an independent location, unlock the page, then
> calculate the checksum and report back?

Right. I think there's a few minor variations of how this could be done,
but that'd be the basic approach.

> That seems like it would be reasonable to me. Wouldn't it make sense to
> then have pg_basebackup use that same function..?

Yea, probably. Or at least reuse the majority of it, I can imagine the
error reporting would be a bit different (sqlstates et al are needed for
the basebackup.c case, but not the pg_checksum case).

Greetings,

Andres Freund