Re: PostgreSQL Packages

From: Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org>
To: rajdeep limbu <rajdeep(dot)limbu(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-pkg-yum(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Packages
Date: 2019-03-29 12:09:54
Lists: pgsql-pkg-yum

Re: rajdeep limbu 2019-03-29 <CAG5O28cyU64zRhooQLovVzci0QNnsZfjQh=z_LV1eKFOkRsVPQ(at)mail(dot)gmail(dot)com>
> Apart from this, I had a query regarding the naming convention followed by
> PostgreSQL for their *client* and *server *packages. For all the server
> installations, they call it PostgreSQL Server. However, for the client
> related installations,

"client" is the "psql" command line client, and other binaries like
pg_dump.

> they nowhere mention that it is a PostgreSQL client rather they say it as
> PostgreSQL ( at least for CentOS). what about Ubuntu, Debian, and other
> installations? Can you throw some light on this ??

On CentOS, the postgresql package has the clients, and the server is
in the postgresql-server package.

On Debian, the postgresql package has the server, and the clients are
in the postgresql-client package.

I'm not sure I got your questions correctly. What's the reason you are
asking?

Christoph