Re: order of reading the conf files

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Rene Romero Benavides <rene(dot)romero(dot)b(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: kbn98406(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: order of reading the conf files
Date: 2018-12-06 14:52:30
Lists: pgsql-general

Greetings,

* Rene Romero Benavides (rene(dot)romero(dot)b(at)gmail(dot)com) wrote:
> Why do you need to know that ?

Please don't top-post, first, and second, it certainly seems like a
worthwhile thing to want to know, for a variety of reasons, such as
"what takes precedence- ALTER SYSTEM, or a configuration in
postgresql.conf?"

> Am Do., 6. Dez. 2018 um 01:21 Uhr schrieb bhargav kamineni <
> kbn98406(at)gmail(dot)com>:
> > may i know the order in which postgres reads the configuration files like
> > conf , auto.conf , hba ?

The regular postgresql.conf file is read first, then
postgresql.auto.conf and then pg_hba.conf and pg_ident.conf. We can't
read pg_hba.conf/pg_ident.conf before reading postgresql.conf and
postgresql.auto.conf because their location is specified in
postgresql.conf/postgresql.auto.conf.

> > and how does postmaster forks postgres , can we see that forking process
> > in logfile ?

If you have log_connections enabled, we'll log the 'connection received'
message very shortly after fork'ing.

You could also enable DEBUG2 (or higher) to see the fork from the parent
process.

Thanks!

Stephen