Re: Select "todays" timestamps in an index friendly way

From: "Lutz Horn" <lutz(dot)horn(at)posteo(dot)de>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Select "todays" timestamps in an index friendly way
Date: 2018-10-23 13:57:28
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 03:50:14PM +0200, Francisco Olarte wrote:
> It'is not as the problem was stated. Although ts defaulted to now(),
> and it is probably defaulted, nothing prohibits him from inserting
> timestamps in the future.

Yes, this table is only used as an example for the technical question.
In my real use case there are columns like "due_date" which usually
contain future dates inserted by application code.

> the "timestamps in today" pattern is commonly used in calendaring
> applications, which usually insert appointments in the future and
> recover this way to print "todays schedule".

Exactly. The application must be able to execute queries like "give me
all my tasks due today" without having to use a concrete value for
"today".

Lutz