Re: Fwd: cannot login to psql without specifying host

From: Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org>
To: Mark Steben <mark(dot)steben(at)drivedominion(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Fwd: cannot login to psql without specifying host
Date: 2018-10-02 11:30:07
Lists: pgsql-admin

Re: Mark Steben 2018-10-02 <CADyzmyw66x_SgxR=gX+RddQaBgHWVVW=eyNO2w_iygewF+piDw(at)mail(dot)gmail(dot)com>
> *psql -U postgres prime_production -p 5433 *
> *psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory*
> * Is the server running locally and accepting*
> * connections on Unix domain socket "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5433"?*
>
> I have changed the UNIX_SOCKET_DIRECTORIES to something other than /tmp
> because we have another instance pointing to that directory. I restarted
> postgres. Didn't help. I have attached our 3 config files along with an
> ls -la listing of our database cluster directory. Any insights welcome.

You can use "psql -h /database/prime_data/PSQL_94/tmp" to use that
socket directory.

In practise, that will fail for any user than the cluster owner
because that is inside your PGDATA, and that is 0700.

Christoph