Re: Bug fix for glibc broke freebsd build in REL_11_STABLE

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>, Victor Wagner <vitus(at)wagner(dot)pp(dot)ru>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Bug fix for glibc broke freebsd build in REL_11_STABLE
Date: 2018-09-05 16:58:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 2018-09-05 18:55:34 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On 05/09/2018 18:42, Andres Freund wrote:
> > Realistically we're going to be running into old versions of clang for a
> > long time. And the importance of running i386 without SSE2 surely isn't
> > increasing. So I don't really see an urgent need to do anything about
> > it. And if it gets fixed, and we care, we can just add a clang version
> > check to the test.
>
> Another option perhaps is to let this be and accept it as alternative
> floating point behavior. We already have some of those.

-many. We'd directly violate our own error rules. I'm actually
personally in favor of not throwing error when float overflows - it's
imo not actually useful and costs performance - but sometimes throwing
an error depending on the specific register allocator behaviour of a
specific version of a compiler is bad. It's really weird to return
[+-]Infinity depending on just *how much* you overflowed.

Greetings,

Andres Freund