Re: Duplicating data folder without tablespace, for read access

From: "Peter J(dot) Holzer" <hjp-pgsql(at)hjp(dot)at>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Duplicating data folder without tablespace, for read access
Date: 2018-08-14 18:28:09
Lists: pgsql-general

On 2018-08-14 11:57:38 -0400, Jack Cushman wrote:
> I have a large database of text, with a 600GB table and a 100GB table connected
> by a join table. They both see occasional updates throughout the week. Once a
> week I want to "cut a release," meaning I will clone just the 100GB table and
> copy it to a "release" server for read-only web access.
>
> My procedure would be:
>
> - keep the 600GB table on a separate tablespace
> - cleanly stop postgres on both servers
> - copy the data folder to the release server
> - delete pg_tblspc/* on the release server
> - start postgres on both servers

If you copy the whole database anyway before deleting the tablespace:

Why don't you just drop the 600 GB table on the release server?

hp

--
_ | Peter J. Holzer | we build much bigger, better disasters now
|_|_) | | because we have much more sophisticated
__/ | http://www.hjp.at/ | -- Ross Anderson <https://www.edge.org/>