Re: pg_upgrade doesn't work?

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: "Cogan, Mark Contractor, NRL Code 3030" <mark(dot)cogan(dot)ctr(at)nrl(dot)navy(dot)mil>
Cc: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade doesn't work?
Date: 2018-08-10 10:22:38
Lists: pgsql-admin

Greetings,

* Cogan, Mark Contractor, NRL Code 3030 (mark(dot)cogan(dot)ctr(at)nrl(dot)navy(dot)mil) wrote:
> So why does the documentation tell me that I should use the pg_upgrade
> command to migrate my 8.4.20 db to 9.6, but when I run the command it tells
> me that the major version is different so it won't run? Is there some kind
> of issue with the location of the execution binary?

Having the exact error messgaes would be really helpful. You're sure
that you are using the pg_upgrade from 9.6? Note that to perform a
pg_upgrade you have to have the binaries for *both* versions installed
on to the system and then pg_upgrade will perform a copy of the data
files or will create hard-links between the old and new data
directories.

Thanks!

Stephen