Re: How can I see IDENTITY columns?

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Dave Cramer <davecramer(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Rob Richardson <interrobang(at)yahoo(dot)com>, "pgadmin-support(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgadmin-support(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How can I see IDENTITY columns?
Date: 2018-08-08 20:18:51
Lists: pgadmin-support

Greetings,

* Dave Cramer (davecramer(at)gmail(dot)com) wrote:
> On 8 August 2018 at 15:52, Rob Richardson <interrobang(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:
> > I have now downloaded pgAdmin 4 v3.1. It has the same problem.
> > I run this command:
> >
> > CREATE TABLE public.identity_sample
> > (
> > identity_sample_key bigint NOT NULL GENERATED BY DEFAULT AS
> > IDENTITY PRIMARY KEY
> > )
> > WITH (
> > OIDS = FALSE
> > )
> >
> > Then, I run
> >
> > select attrelid, attname, attidentity from pg_attribute where attname
> > = 'identity_sample_key'
> >
> > and get two records, one of which has an attidentity column that contains
> > 'd'. The other record's attidentity column is null.
> >
> > Then, in pgAdmin, I refresh the schema and select the identity_sample
> > table. In the SQL tab, I see this:
> >
> > -- DROP TABLE public.identity_sample;
> > CREATE TABLE public.identity_sample
> > (
> > identity_sample_key bigint NOT NULL,
> > CONSTRAINT identity_sample_pkey PRIMARY KEY (identity_sample_key)
> > )
> > WITH (
> > OIDS = FALSE
> > )
> > TABLESPACE pg_default;
> >
> > I copy that into a new SQL window, uncomment the DROP TABLE line, and
> > execute it. Then, I repeat the select query on pg_attribute. Again, I get
> > two records, but this time the attidentity column is null for both records.

> that seems like a bug, at least a feature that should be there..

Yeah, I tend to agree.. Seems like pgAdmin4 really should be realizing
that it's an identity column and creating a CREATE TABLE statement as
such, though it'll need code specific to v10 and above to do that.

I'm not at all surprised that pgAdmin3 has this issue and I wouldn't get
your hopes up about seeing that fixed. This should get fixed for
pgAdmin4 though.

Thanks!

Stephen