Re: Restore relhaspkey in PostgreSQL Version 11 Beta

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Melvin Davidson <melvin6925(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Restore relhaspkey in PostgreSQL Version 11 Beta
Date: 2018-07-30 23:24:48
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

On 2018-07-30 19:11:34 -0400, Melvin Davidson wrote:
> *Of course. Would you be so kind as to point out where in the
> information_schema it *
> *indicates if a table has a primary key or not. Oh wait, now I
> remember...no place.*

As Adrian pointed out, that's wrong. It's in information_schema. You're
pretty damn antagonistic while asking for things.

> *>Keeping random atavistic things around, would slow us down, which will be
> a>price everybody is paying. *

> *Random atavistic things? I hardly think relhaspkey is random. It's been
> there since version 7.2.*
> *Exactly how does keeping it around slow you/us down?*

Being old doesn't imply it's not superfluous and/or slows us
down. There've been a number of discussions and bug reports about the
inaccuracy - even though it's documented! - it in the last few
years. That alone costs time. Additionally it's code we need to
maintain.

Greetings,

Andres Freund