Re: How can we submit code patches that implement our (pending) patents?

From: Nico Williams <nico(at)cryptonector(dot)com>
To: Benjamin Scherrey <scherrey(at)proteus-tech(dot)com>
Cc: Isaac Morland <isaac(dot)morland(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, "Tsunakawa, Takayuki" <tsunakawa(dot)takay(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com>, David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Subject: Re: How can we submit code patches that implement our (pending) patents?
Date: 2018-07-25 15:25:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Jul 25, 2018 at 02:48:01PM +0700, Benjamin Scherrey wrote:
> If you violate a patent, knowingly or otherwise, you are subject to
> penalties (perhaps not treble but still penalties) and will have to remove
> the offending code unless a deal is reached with the patent holder.

Unless you do a patent search every time you design something, you can't
avoid the risk of accidentally infringing.

> It is critical that Postgres require that all contributors do not enforce
> patents against Postgres - full stop. That's the IP agreement that should
> be in place.

My take is that the PG license should make royalty-free, non-exclusive,
transferrable, worldwide patent grants that are either irrevocable or
revocable only againts those who sue the owner. This together with a
contributor agreement would stop contributions by patent trolls, but it
still wouldn't prevent accidental re-inventions.

I don't understand why it's not obvious that one can unknowingly and
accidentally re-invent someone else's idea.