Re: Bug in PostgreSQL

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: Rambabu V <ram(dot)wissen(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bug in PostgreSQL
Date: 2018-06-28 16:13:16
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hi,

On 2018-06-28 08:55:21 +0200, Laurenz Albe wrote:
> Rambabu V wrote:
> > While taking pgdump we are getting error message cache lookup failed for function 7418447.
> > While trying select * from pg_proc where oid=7418447 returns zero rows. Please help us on this.
>
> That means that some catalog data are corrupted.

It does *NOT* have mean that. You can get such reports e.g. because
there was concurrent DDL. Most things are protected against via locks,
but there's enough of a window between getting the list of objects and
locking to cause issues for tables. And for functions it's fairly easy
to get into trouble because there's a mismatch between the snapshot
pg_dump uses (a normal transactional snapshot) and the snapshot used to
deparse expressions etc (a fresh catalog snapshot that takes into
account concurrent commits).

Greetings,

Andres Freund