Re: using pg_basebackup for point in time recovery

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Vik Fearing <vik(dot)fearing(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Pierre Timmermans <ptim007(at)yahoo(dot)com>, "pgsql-generallists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: using pg_basebackup for point in time recovery
Date: 2018-06-25 16:51:10
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 04:50:38PM -0700, David G. Johnston wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 21, 2018 at 4:26 PM, Vik Fearing <vik(dot)fearing(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
> wrote:
>
> On 21/06/18 07:27, Michael Paquier wrote:
> > Attached is a patch which includes your suggestion.  What do you think?
> > As that's an improvement, only HEAD would get that clarification.
>
> Say what?  If the clarification applies to previous versions, as it
> does, it should be backpatched.  This isn't a change in behavior, it's a
> change in the description of existing behavior.
>

> Generally only actual bug fixes get back-patched; but I'd have to say this
> looks like it could easily be classified as one.

FYI, in recent discussions on the docs list:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CABUevEyumGh3r05U3_mhRrEU=dfacdRr2HEw140MvN7FSBMSyw@mail.gmail.com

there was the conclusion that:

If it's a clean backpatch I'd say it is -- people who are using
PostgreSQL 9.6 will be reading the documentation for 9.6 etc, so they
will not know about the fix then.

If it's not a clean backpatch I can certainly see considering it, but if
it's not a lot of effort then I'd say it's definitely worth it.

so the rule I have been using for backpatching doc stuff has changed
recently.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

+ Ancient Roman grave inscription +