UTF8 for docs

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: PostgreSQL-documentation <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: UTF8 for docs
Date: 2018-05-01 13:26:33
Lists: pgsql-docs

Our release.sgml contains these lines, that I wrote:

we cannot use UTF8 because SGML Docbook does not support it

do not use numeric _UTF_ numeric character escapes (&#nnn;),
we can only use Latin1

Example: Alvaro Herrera is &Aacute;lvaro Herrera

Should this be changed now that we are using XML for head? It cannot be
changed for back branch releases since those are still SGML, so I
suggest we keep this restriction. I have updated the doc comments.

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

+ Ancient Roman grave inscription +