Re: [HACKERS] AdvanceXLInsertBuffer vs. WAL segment compressibility

From: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Chapman Flack <chap(at)anastigmatix(dot)net>, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] AdvanceXLInsertBuffer vs. WAL segment compressibility
Date: 2018-03-26 05:43:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Mar 25, 2018 at 11:27:31PM -0400, Stephen Frost wrote:
> AdvanceXLInsertBuffer() does quite a bit, so I'm a bit surprised to see
> this simply removing that call, you're confident there's nothing done
> which still needs doing..?

Have a look at BKP_REMOVABLE then. This was moved to page headers in
2dd9322, still it seems to me that the small benefits outlined on this
thread don't justify breaking tools relying on this flag set, especially
if there is no replacement for it.

So I would vote to not commit this patch.
--
Michael