Re: Remove default privilege from DB

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Durumdara <durumdara(at)gmail(dot)com>, Charles Clavadetscher <clavadetscher(at)swisspug(dot)org>, Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Remove default privilege from DB
Date: 2018-02-16 15:35:28
Lists: pgsql-general

Greetings,

* David G. Johnston (david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com) wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 7:56 AM, Durumdara <durumdara(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
> > I want to know what happened in the background.
> > I will make "negative" state if I revoke DefACL without prior grant?
>
> ​Not really following the whole thread but figured I'm comment on this
> point that confused me in the past as well.​
>
> ​Not sure if this is what you mean but there is no concept of "negative
> state" in the permissions system. Everything starts out with no
> permissions. Grant adds permissions and revoke un-adds granted
> permissions.​ Revoking something that doesn't exist is either a no-op or a
> warning depending on the context - either way its doesn't setup a
> "forbidden" state for the permission.

This isn't entirely correct. Functions are the classic example where
EXECUTE to PUBLIC is part of the default and the "negative" state of
having a function where EXECUTE is REVOKE'd from PUBLIC is entirely
reasonable and even common.

Further, object owners also have a default set of privileges which can
be revoked from them, and that's true of basically all objects.

> Revoking/granting on default ACLs never affects already existing objects.

Right, to change existing ACLs one would use GRANT ON ALL or individual
GRANT statements.

Thanks!

Stephen