Re: [HACKERS] datetime.h defines like PM conflict with external libraries

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] datetime.h defines like PM conflict with external libraries
Date: 2018-02-07 04:28:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andres Freund wrote:

> Medium term, it
> seems to me, we should start actually move a lot of the adt code into a
> library that can be included (or possibly just compiled?) both by
> frontend and backend code. Which kinda seems to imply we'd need
> compatible elog support for frontend code, which I'd wished for many
> times.

I remember looking into moving this code into src/common/ a couple of
years ago, but the API was not identical in ecpg than backend mostly
because of the use of a few GUC vars, so I didn't finish it. In many
cases it seemed possible to resolve easily (just change hardcoded use of
a GUC in the function with a parameter), but I'm not sure it was the
case everywhere.