Re: PostgreSQL Active-Active

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Dhandapani Shanmugam <postgresql95(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Active-Active
Date: 2018-02-06 11:12:00
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-general

Greetings,

* Dhandapani Shanmugam (postgresql95(at)gmail(dot)com) wrote:
> Do we have active-active setup in postgreSQL, like we have in oracle RAC?.
> Sorry if this question has been addressed already. What will be best open
> source HA for postgresql with zero RTO and RPO.

What you're probably looking for is a 3 (or more) node setup with
patroni, etcd, and synchronous replication. Note that this will be a
shared-nothing architecture, avoiding the risk that something bad
happens with the storage system but requiring that the data be
replicated multiple times. Using synchronous replication means that you
have to have the nodes all close to each other, of course, but meets the
zero RPO. Zero RTO is just silly, but with patroni and haproxy you can
detect and failover pretty darn fast.

Thanks!

Stephen