What does "Table rewrite" mean?

From: PG Doc comments form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: ilsa(at)ilsadee(dot)com
Subject: What does "Table rewrite" mean?
Date: 2018-01-19 16:03:40
Lists: pgsql-docs

Page: https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.5/static/sql-altertable.html

I see references to a "table rewrite" all over the place, but I cannot find
one single definition on what that actually means.

What does a table rewrite do? Does it drop and recreate the table?
Everywhere I look people describe it with fear and trepedation as if it was
some catastrophically dangerous operation to perform. What is it?