Re: Errands around AllocateDir()

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Errands around AllocateDir()
Date: 2017-12-04 19:11:34
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

> Yeah, agreed. The only thing I'm concerned about back-patching is
> the places where a wrong errno might be reported.

If we're currently reporting "could not open dir: Success" then
backpatching such a fix is definitely an improvement. OTOH if currently
we have opendir() trying to report a failure, then LWLockRelease replace
the errno because something completely unrelated also failed, having the
message report exactly the opendir() failure rather than the lwlock
failure is surely also an improvement.