Re: pgsql: Remove BufFile's isTemp flag.

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: Remove BufFile's isTemp flag.
Date: 2017-11-17 03:11:49
Lists: pgsql-committers

On 2017-11-16 21:58:14 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Remove BufFile's isTemp flag.
> > The isTemp flag controls whether buffile.c chops BufFile data up into
> > 1GB segments on disk. Since it was badly named and always true, get
> > rid of it.
>
> [ squint... ] That used to have an actual purpose connected to
> transaction-abort cleanup, IIRC. It disturbs me that this seems
> to have been

I've not found any such use, searching through buffile.c's history. I
don't quite see how that flag could've been related to abort cleanup
stuff? There's been another unused caller of makeBufFile, namely
BufFileCreate, that has been #ifdef'ed out for ages (perhaps we
should've removed that with this commit or a long time ago). Other than
that there seems to not have been any other caller setting that flag
differently since you created the file in db3c4c3a2d980dcd.

Greetings,

Andres Freund