Re: json(b)_array_elements use causes very large memory usage when also referencing entire json document

From: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Lucas Fairchild-Madar <lucas(dot)madar(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: json(b)_array_elements use causes very large memory usage when also referencing entire json document
Date: 2017-10-07 04:08:43
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On 2017-10-06 19:42:05 -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2017-10-06 22:35:37 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> > Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> writes:
> > > I've just played around with this. ValuePerCall SRFs are fine with
> > > called in a short-lived context (they're required to be able to, as
> > > documented in xfunc.sgml), so is SFRM_Materialize. The only thing to be
> > > careful about is the *arguments* to the function, those need to live
> > > long enough in the ValuePerCall case.
> >
> > Isn't there already code to deal with that? See around line 175
> > in execSRF.c.
>
> Well, that's for nodeFunctionscan.c, not nodeProjectSet.c. But it seems
> quite sensible to model this very similarly.

Patch attached. The business with having to switch the memory context
tuplestore_gettupleslot() ain't pretty, but imo is tolerable.

I'm kinda tempted to put this, after a bit more testing, into v10.

After this Lucas' testcase doesn't leak memory anymore - it's still slow
in execution, decompressing the same datum over and over. But that feels
like something that should be fixed separately.

- Andres

Attachment Content-Type Size
0001-Reduce-memory-usage-of-targetlist-SRFs.patch text/x-diff 6.9 KB