Re: Why have we got both largeobject and large_object test files?

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Why have we got both largeobject and large_object test files?
Date: 2017-07-17 16:59:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom,

> I happened to notice that the regression tests contain both
> largeobject.sql and large_object.sql. This seems at best confusing and at
> worst a source of mistakes. The second file was added in March by commit
> ff992c074, has never been touched by any other commit, and is only 8 lines
> long. Was there a really good reason not to incorporate that test into
> largeobject.sql?

Just to be clear that we're talking about the same thing- there is no
'largeobject.sql' in a clean source tree. There is a 'largeobject.source'
in src/test/regress/input which is converted to largeobject.sql.

As for the general question of if the two could be merged, I can't think
of any reason off-hand why that wouldn't work, nor do I have any
particular recollection as to why I created a new file instead of using
the existing. My shell history tells me that I found largeobject.source
while crafting the test case but not why I didn't use it.

The main thing is that the large_object.sql was specifically added to
test pg_upgrade/pg_dump, so the created object needs to be kept around
in the regression database with the comment after the tests run for that
to happen.

Thanks!

Stephen