Re: autovacuum holds exclusive lock on table preventing it from to be updated

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Dmitry O Litvintsev <litvinse(at)fnal(dot)gov>
Cc: Andreas Kretschmer <andreas(at)a-kretschmer(dot)de>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: autovacuum holds exclusive lock on table preventing it from to be updated
Date: 2017-06-19 17:42:32
Lists: pgsql-general

Dmitry O Litvintsev wrote:
> Hi
>
> Since I have posted this nothing really changed. I am starting to panic (mildly).

> vacuum_cost_delay = 50ms

Most likely, this value is far too high. You're causing autovacuum to
sleep for a very long time with this setting. Hard to say for certain
without seeing the cost_limit value and the other related parameters,
but it's most certainly what's causing you pain. The default of 20ms is
already too high for most users.